author Sam Lantinga <>
Thu, 02 Feb 2006 06:26:39 +0000
changeset 1321 e05bc5d315e3
parent 1131 e044e7c70a50
permissions -rw-r--r--
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:20:33 -0800 From: Eric Wing Subject: SDL/Universal Binary updates Hi Sam, Attached is a big set of changes to the Xcode projects to support Universal Binaries. I have also included .dmgs that include the prebuilt frameworks. Ryan, I also updated SMPEG which is also in the package. The SDL and smpeg binaries were built against the CVS version (pulled maybe a month ago?). I do not have an Intel Mac to test on so I have no idea if this stuff actually works. However, Christian Walther has been a big help in testing 10.2.8 and 10.3.9 so I'm fairly confident we got the build settings correct for at least PPC. I have attempted to document the important things for producing these Universal Binaries. Documentation is somewhat scattered through out everything, but there is a big centralized piece of documentation in the UniversalBinaryNotes.rtf in the SDL.dmg. As far as Universal Binaries are concerned, the big things were: - Build with gcc 3.3 on PPC, 4.0 on Intel. - We couldn't get any of the MMX/SSE code to compile/link (SDL and smpeg). - All 3rd party dependencies had to be rebuilt as Universal There were also a bunch of non-Universal things that have been updated: - I converted the SDL-satellites to create .dmg's instead of .pkg installers - Updated all 3rd party static libraries with current versions. (I think libpng was the most dramatic going from 1.0.? to 1.2.8 with API breakage. I haven't found any problems so far in doing this.) - Changed some compiler optimization settings - Finally updated the exports list for SDL_mixer - Tried to include a static smpeg in SDL_mixer (multiple build variants in Xcode project now) - Enabled Altivec in SDL (we forgot to add the flags to Xcode last time) - More documentation Since so many things have changed, there might be new problems introduced. The big issue I've found so far is with SDL_mixer. As I mentioned on the mailing list, MP3's produce an assertion failure. And the MikMod problem reported on Bugzilla continues to persist. There's probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. There really were hundreds of little things I mucked with so it's hard to remember them all. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks, Eric

# The top-level input Makefile for SDL

# require automake 1.4

## Any directories that you want built and installed should go here.
SUBDIRS = src include docs

## Any directories you want a part of the distribution should be listed
## here, as well as have a Makefile generated at the end of
## This only works for subdirectories one level deep.

# SDL runtime configuration script
bin_SCRIPTS = sdl-config

# All the rest of the distributed files
	BUGS		\
	TODO		\
	README.Epoc	\
	README.Qtopia	\
	Borland.html	\	\
	VisualC.html	\	\	\
	Makefile.dc	\
	MPWmake.sea.bin	\
	CWprojects.sea.bin \
	PBProjects.tar.gz \ \
	Xcode.tar.gz	\
	Xcode21.tar.gz	\
	XcodeUniversal.tar.gz	\
	WhatsNew	\
	docs.html	\
	sdl.m4		\
	SDL.spec	\	\

# M4 macro file for inclusion with autoconf
m4datadir = $(datadir)/aclocal
m4data_DATA = sdl.m4

# Rule to build tar-gzipped distribution package
$(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION).tar.gz: dist

# Rule to build RPM distribution package
rpm: $(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION).tar.gz
	rpm -ta $(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION).tar.gz

# Rule to rebuild the export lists for BeOS, MacOS and Win32.
	(cd src/main/beos/exports; $(MAKE))
	(cd src/main/macos/exports; $(MAKE))
	(cd src/main/macosx/exports; $(MAKE))
	(cd src/main/win32/exports; $(MAKE))

# Rule to build the Project Builder archive in MacOS X
	rm -f `find . -name .DS_Store`
	if [ -d PBProjects ]; then \
	    tar zcvf $@ PBProjects; \

# Rule to install the libraries only - prevent rebuilding apps
	cd src && $(MAKE) install-libLTLIBRARIES

# Run ldconfig after installing the library:

# Grab the test programs for the distribution:
	if test -f test/Makefile; then (cd test; make distclean); fi
	rm -rf $(srcdir)/test/autom4te*
	cp -rp $(srcdir)/test $(distdir)
	rm -rf `find $(distdir) -type d -name CVS -print`

# Create a CVS snapshot that people can run update -d on
	cvs -d $(CVSROOT) login
	cvs -d $(CVSROOT) checkout SDL12
	(cd SDL12 && ./ && rm -rf autom4te.cache)
	mv SDL12 SDL-1.2
	tar zcvf $(HOME)/SDL-1.2.tar.gz SDL-1.2
	rm -rf SDL-1.2
	cvs -d $(CVSROOT) login
	cvs -d $(CVSROOT) checkout -r branch_1_3_x SDL12
	(cd SDL12 && ./ && rm -rf autom4te.cache)
	mv SDL12 SDL-1.3
	tar zcvf $(HOME)/SDL-1.3.tar.gz SDL-1.3
	rm -rf SDL-1.3